|IMPORTANT: The Pelican e-mail server has been retired from service. All users that have a CCNY email account (@ccny.cuny.edu) have been migrated to the new email system, Webmail. If you experience difficulties accessing your CCNY email account or have any questions, please contact the Service Desk (212) 650-7878 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|General Email Migration Information:
|Below are some of the most frequently asked questions by faculty and staff when migrating email to their Webmail accounts:|
Q. Why is the college migrating to Exchange for email and calendar services?
- The current Pelican email system and other email systems across campus are outdated and do not meet level of functionality and features that are essential for improved productivity. As a solution OIT has implemented Microsoft Exchange® 2013 – an email and calendaring solution to support the College’s faculty and staff collaboration needs.
- A more unified and consistent platform for accessing email, calendaring, and contacts.
- Stronger calendar functionality to better support the need for shared calendars.
- An improved Webmail experience across all major web browsers on all platforms.
- Expanded support for access to email and calendaring using mobile device mobile device platforms such as Android, IOS, and Blackberry.
Q. Who is being migrated?
- All faculty and staff emails are being migrated over the new platform – Microsoft Exchange®. OIT will be migrating on a department by department basis.
Q. Will my username and password be changed?
- No. Your email username will remain the same.
- However, if your password does not work for any reason please use the Password Reset
Q. What email clients will be supported with Webmail?
- OIT supports the following mail clients:
- Microsoft Outlook 2010 and up for PC
- Microsoft Outlook 2011 and up for Mac
- If you are not using a OIT supported mail client, you should make plans to switch to one of the supported clients. You may also consider using the Outlook Web App (OWA) as your primary way of accessing your Exchange calendar and email. OWA works in all modern browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome on Windows and Firefox, Safari on Mac OS X.
Q. Can I use my mobile device with Webmail?
- Yes, the following mobile devices will be supported with Webmail:
- IOS devices
- Android (Versions compatible with Exchange Activesync®)
Q. Would there be a quota in the Webmail environment?
- This is true. Webmail users will be subject to a 3 GB storage quota. This quota is being created to ensure optimal performance of the system and to ensure good stewardship of email resources. Most Webmail users will experience no impact related to the existence of quotas. Users who regularly take steps to manage their accounts are likely to stay well below their storage quota. For users who are approaching their established quota, an automated, daily message informing them of their status will be sent to their Inbox. If the quota is surpassed, users will be prohibited from sending messages, but will continue to receive messages until their utilization is reduced below their established quota. Additional information about Managing Quotas in Webmail will be available in our General Webmail FAQs.
Q. Can I forward my email to my personal account?
- Yes. Please review City College Self Service Email Forwarding Disclaimer BEFORE making forwarding settings below.
1. Log into Webmail, select “People” at the top right of the page.
2. Select “new” on the top left of the page then select “create contact” when the “what would you like to do?” pop-up comes up.
3. Create a new contact with the email you would like to forward to and select save.
4. Now to forward to that contact, select the gear at the top right of the window and select “Options”.
5. On the left, select “organize email” then click on the “+” select “Create a new rule for arriving message”.
6. A new window will pop-up. Select the appropriate options as shown.
7. When you select, “Redirect the message to…”, a new window will pop-up. Click on the “+” next to the contact you would like to forward to and click “OK”.
8. Once you are finished, select “save” and forwarding will be enabled. To test this, send yourself as email, preferably from a different email address or wait until you receive a broadcast.
Q. How do I get support for Webmail?
- You can speak with the tech that assisted with the migration for general information. However, for more detailed information, please review the Webmail FAQs and the Reference Guide.
|Below are some of the most frequently asked questions by faculty and staff when the process of migrating to their Webmail accounts:|
Q. When will I be migrated to Webmail?
- The email migration process from other email systems to Webmail are scheduled during the Summer/Fall 2015 semesters and ending on November 30, 2015. Faculty and staff are to be migrated by department and will receive notification of their scheduled migration 2 weeks prior to their migration date.
Q. What should I do to prepare for the migration?
- In order to prepare for the migration, OIT asks that all faculty and staff review their mailbox management practices and make a good faith effort to reduce the size of their existing mailbox prior to the migration. This will expedite the migration process. Helpful strategies for managing your email include:
- Managing your Inbox and Sent folders by removing messages that are no longer needed.
- Delete duplicates and earlier portions of message chains.
Q. What data will be included in the migration?
Email: The migration process will focus on transferring all email data and folders in your Pelican account to Webmail. Calendar: For users who have been using Pelican web calendar, MeetingMaker, or Outlook calendar, migration options can be provided to transfer your calendar data to Webmail. Contacts: Like calendar data, contacts transfer options can be provided during the migration. In addition, Webmail has a comprehensive Contacts Directory for all CCNY faculty and staff.
Q. What should I expect during the migration process?
- Faculty and staff are to be migrated by department and will receive notification of their scheduled migration prior to the migration date. During the migration process users can expect the following to occur:
- All new email received will automatically be delivered to your new Webmail account The migration will not impact the delivery of any email messages.
- All mail data for your account will be migrated from Pelican to Webmail.
- All mobile devices connected to Pelican will no longer receive new emails until reconfigured for the new system. Users should bring all their mobile devices on-site during the scheduled migration date.
- Training and support resources will be available online and in-person to answer any questions that may come up while getting started with the new system.
Q. What happens to my mail if my current mailbox exceeds the Webmail 3 GB quota?
- Emails from your current email that are over the 3GB quota are automatically archived automatically. This feature allows you access to all of your emails without using up your 3GB quota.
Q. My account has been migrated, now what?
- Ensure that you can login into Webmail
- Visit https://webmail.ccny.cuny.edu/ and login with your credentials
- If you are unable to login, please check your user name using the Password Reset
- If you are still unable to login contact the OIT Service Desk at x7878
- Once logged in, please verify that your emails have been migrated over:
- Emails should be stored within the inbox (up to your 3 GB quota) on the left-hand of the screen. Over quota email will be in the ‘In Place Archive’ auto-archive folder on the bottom left of the screen.
- Notice Mail, Calendar, People, and Tasks at the top right of the screen to access additional features.